the montra

Everybody who can should have a garden... it puts one in touch with the natural living world. Gardening is not a competition, but if it can be turned into one to help get a greater yield, then do it.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Various thoughts...

I went to the garden the other day and a couple of aggressive hammerheads ( 2 separate folk) watered my garden for me at dusk... they soaked the shit out of the green leaf matter of my Tomatoes. I appreciate the effort in thinking of helping me by watering my garden, but i also find it frusterating that people always forget the golden rule when watering tomatos in a blight festering climate. You have to keep the damn leaves dry especially at night or the blight will be nurtutred. Clearly this is where a greenhouse comes in in spades (keeps rain off plants), but in absence of a greenhouse don't water your tomatoes after 4PM or if you do soak the ground only.
Seems like a simple thing to remember but remember when you are dealing with humans then you will have problems... I just happen to hate making the same mistake over and over again.

Ok- speaking of mistakes i hauled in the second lot of garlic tonight and I'll be a fatso in a fasting commune if i didn't leave it in the ground too long... Why didn't i pull it all weeks ago when i did the garlic harvest? Because i wanted to learn that if you leave it too late it starts to rot and regenerate in the ground. If i do that next year kill me. Mind you it was the great Bold Point Farm garlic stock and i think i want to replant all of it to get a real good haul next year, so i think it should still be good to replant. I was warned by a fine farming neighbour that it was garlic harvesting time, and i left it too late.. perhaps i have poor drainage in the area, could be one thing, because it was in September that the Garlic was harvested in Bold Point... although it would be reasonable to assume that the Quadra Island season is a few weeks behind the Vancouver season.

Apparently the report is for a cold fall, but seeing that the report was for a hot summer, i like my chances... Chances for fall harvest that is. One thing that turned out to be gangbusters was my Hops plantation... put my hops by a 4 year old compost and let it climb to full sun all day and got one hell of a harvest... the amazing thing here is this is the plant i dug out of a back alley last year and i went back to visit the mother plant and it is way behind. Conditions are really everything. Like berries some are early and others late, depending on the conditions. Clearly a plant with ample nutrients and ample sunlight can do what it needs to do in a shorter period of time... of course reproduction is the name of the game in life... only in humans is the personal "life" more important... and hey it's pretty good... I'm digging it.



I'm making beer with my life and swilling it and then typing shit on a keyboard and perhaps somebody might read it and learn something, or think something that they might otherwise not have. It's hard to say, and in the end it's all just memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment